Wednesday, September 10, 2014

UPDATES & Useful Tips

Hello everyone! I have missed sitting down and blogging so much and I apologize for being absent for awhile. Today I am here to update you all on how my vegan lifestyle is going and if there has been any changes in my weight loss journey. 

I am happy to say that I am in love with being vegan! I have switched over to the vegan lifestyle almost one month ago and I have been enjoying it so much. It does get challenging when I go out to eat with family and friends because I have to ask the waitress if certain things are cooked in butter etc, but it hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be. My family and friends have really shown me a lot of support which is always appreciated. A lot of my friends have had so many questions regarding why I switched and what I can or cannot eat so I thought I would share with you all what I share with them! Keep in mind I am no expert!

When first deciding to change my eating habits over a year ago I never told myself "these are the foods I can't eat" because feeding yourself that negativity won't make the journey any easier. It will also make you resent healthier foods which is not what you want. If you look at it more as in "I am going to eat this instead of this today because this apple will make me feel better than those french fries" then your mind is going to stay positive. I hope that makes sense! Anyway, I had to do the same thing when switching over to a vegan lifestyle. I just simply cut out dairy and meat out of my diet and kept on with the other foods that I was already eating. For example, I was already eating loads of fruits and veggies because of my healthy diet that I have had for over a year, so thankfully it wasn't a huge adjustment. 

I get asked a lot about how I have so much willpower and how I can be around meat or dairy and not be tempted to indulge. I always remind them of how since the beginning of this journey when I decided to change my eating habits I have had to have intense willpower and strength every single day. It does get easier day by day but we are all human and trust me when I say you will be tempted by unhealthy foods every single day and it is up to you to say no and to move past those foods! So after a little over a year of having to fight temptations, I can say that my strength and willpower level have increased tremendously. 
Also, an obvious answer on how I don't cheat or give into temptation when I get around meat, dairy or anything unhealthy is that I don't want to fill my body with chemicals and unhealthy ingredients that will hurt my stomach and prevent me from staying on track with my weight loss journey. Why would I want to put foods into my body when I don't know where they have come from or how they were made? I love the fact that I know where my meals came from and that I made my meals myself. The reason why so many people decided to start eating healthy is because they don't like the way unhealthy foods make them feel or what they do to their bodies. So to me, it is an obvious choice knowing what healthier foods will do positively to my body.

There are so many different options out there when looking for replacements for meat and dairy products you just have to open your eyes and do some research. That is what I did and found out so many amazing products at my local health food store that made my life and this journey so much easier. If I didn't have a Whole Foods close to me I don't know what I would have done. This store has made life so much easier because they sell pretty much everything you would need for a vegan diet. They have vegan cheese, cream cheese, milk, butter any kind of dairy product you can imagine. Not only dairy, but any kind of meat product you can think of. Ground 'beef', 'chicken' strips, 'bacon' (which I still want to try) and so many more! They also have ready to go frozen meals that are completely vegan and taste delicious! I tend to gravitate more towards the ready to go frozen meals because I am usually on the go or don't have time to cook dinner most nights so I like to have these to heat up at work for lunch etc. 

Now onto the more exciting stuff! Regarding my weight loss, and if I have been losing weight throughout this journey the answer is yes! SMILES AND SNAPS FOR DEE! I have lost 4 pounds since starting the vegan diet and that means I am that much closer to my goal! Four might not sound like a lot but it is amazing to see results after being stuck in a rut for over two months and not losing anything. I know that I am going to see this through and I believe in myself that I am going to continue to stay strong! Each and every one of you needs to say that to yourself every single day because I know and believe in each and every one of you that you can do whatever you set your mind to. Whether it be losing weight and starting a new healthy lifestyle or whatever it is in your life that you need motivation for. Stick with it and don't give up! I love all of you and thank you for sticking with me. 

Here is a recent picture of me about to go out with some friends!
I feel so much lighter and better nowadays and couldn't be more exciting for the future and for this crazy and amazing journey to keep going! 

No comments: