Thursday, January 9, 2014

Whole Foods Trip: Thoughts and Haul

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a lovely day/night. Today I made a trip, and yes I mean my nearest whole foods is downtown about 35 minutes away (yikes). But I had my mind on a certain product that you can only purchase at Whole Foods.

Now if you do not know what Whole Foods is, it is a well known grocery store that sells health foods, and organic foods only. It is more pricey than your regular everyday grocery store so I do not do my whole shop there, but I do find it helpful when I am in the need for certain products that are not sold in my local grocery store. I am not one to to buy organic everything, and not the type to only eat "gluten free" "vegan" by far, but I do think it is nice to throw some of that into your diet here and there.

There are different opinions about Gluten free, which to me I do not think it is crucial for someone on a diet. I am no dietitian but I have read about Gluten free products online and compared them to the same products with Gluten and the only difference I see in the "health factor" is that they take out the Gluten and add way more sugar. It is crucial however for those who are Gluten intolerant which I know a couple of people who are, which in that case they are forced to eat Gluten free. Organic is another term which I use loosely talking about my diet. I have read some opinions online about what to and what not to eat organic. My opinion, is the only important time to eat Organic is when you are buying your produce, like your fruits and veggies. The tip that I learned which has saved me a lot of money, is when buying your fruit organic only buy the organic fruit if it is a fruit which you eat the outside or the "skin". For example, Strawberries, Apples, Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, etc. Those foods you eat the outside and that is where all of the pesticides live in the non organic fruits and veggies. But for example, Bananas, Avocados, Oranges etc you only eat the inside of the fruit and throw the skin away so you can get away with buying the non organic versions of those.

Anyway, back onto my trip to Whole Foods today! I have been seeing these "Acai Bowls" all over the blogs I read, and I was dying to try one because they look delicious and so easy to make. In order to make these bowls, you need these "Acai Smoothie Packets" which is just the Acai berry frozen made into smoothie form. Anything with Acai is extremely hard to find and none of my local grocery stores sold anything to do with them. So, the only logical place I knew would have them because they are known as a health food is Whole Foods. When you go into a Whole Foods, especially when you are on a health kick can be very overwhelming and exciting all at the same time because all of these organic healthy options are intriguing but also extremely pricey! I have compared and some of the items that I find at whole foods is up to $3-4 dollars more expensive! But if you are on a strict healthy diet where you only eat Gluten free or you only eat Vegan per say, it is perfect for you! Anyway, so I got my Acai frozen smoothie packets and picked up some other goodies that I will share with you!

First here are the Acai berry smoothie packets:

These are low in calories, fat and sugars because they are unsweetened! I will have a detailed blog post about when I make my Acai Bowl with full directions and instructions soon!

Next, I had been seeing these "Hemp Hearts" all over the blogs that I read, saying how great they are to sprinkle in with your yogurt, on top of salads etc so I wanted to try them out. I am still unsure of exactly what they are but the description says they are nutritious part of the hemp seed which I am unsure of exactly what a hemp seed is, but they are a great source of Omega 3 & 6 and they are known to keep you fuller longer and they do not have a taste to them at all, so I will let you guys know what I think!

I picked up this "organic" (yes I know organic hehe) base for Tortilla soup. My dad and I absolutely love Tortilla Soup and I thought this would be a healthier alternative than going out to a restaurant and getting some when we craved it! This is just the base, so all you have to do is add peppers, corn, black beans and whatever else you want to add to the pot and serve. YUM

Whole Foods has an AMAZING salad bar and they also have an AMAZING buffet with hot fresh foods (healthy and some non healthy) foods for when you want to come in and get some lunch! They also have a section with quick packaged ready to go lunches that are small portioned and not that expensive. For tonight's dinner because I didn't feel like cooking I grabbed these "2 for $5" meals. The one on top is Pork Pot Stickers and the one on the bottom is a mini Chicken Salad Sandwich.


That is all for today, I will see you soon for the Acai Bowl recipe! xoxo



No comments: